Monday, July 26, 2010

Purging


“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.” ~ Tina Turner











I've spent the weekend purging...old magazines, videos I haven't watched in years, garbage masquerading as 'useful stuff'. It was difficult to start; I'm a natural born pack rat and can debate--heartily--why these things should not be let go. It was difficult to keep going; as I came across things my gut reaction was to justify rather than purge. But then, miraculously, it was difficult to stop.

I didn't feel that it was doing any good until I left the room I'd been working on for awhile. When I walked back in, and saw--really saw--that there was space in the room it was almost like walking into an entirely new space.

It really shouldn't have taken me this long. I've read all the articles about the energy of a space and how clutter clogs it up; about how there is no room for new or good when you're holding on to old and so-so.But, like so many other things, what I know and what I do are two very different things.

This weekend was a baby step and I am the first to admit that I have ump-teen thousand more baby steps to take before I get to where I want to be. And I'm ok with that. I'm ok with that because I'm seeing progress. I'm ok with that because I know that purging actual stuff is practice to purging the big stuff--the doubt, the fear, the acceptance of so-so.

Here's what made the difference in why I was able to take the leap this time: I got help. I finally--FINALLY--admitted that this is not my strong suit and allowed someone else to help me. I listened to what she had to say and followed her lead. I did what she said.

Some tips for successful purging:
  •  Enlist the help of a professional. You may be like me and think there's no reason you can't do this on your own. The reason is simply that we don't do it. When you have someone who is going to ring your doorbell whether you feel like it or not makes all the difference.
  •  Put yourself in the right mindset. Think a bit before you dive in, and put yourself in a mindset that will allow you to grow. I had to keep telling myself that if I hadn't used something for so long I forgot I had it, I wasn't going to miss it.
  •  Focus on the result. If you have a hard time parting with the 'stuff' (for whatever reason--you spent good money on it, it was a gift, it can be fixed, etc) close your eyes and visualize how your space will feel once it's revamped. Imagine walking through the door and feeling a calm yet energizing energy from your space, rather than feeling bogged down and stuck.

If you're ready to take the step, I recommend Kristen Sawyer with Dynamic Harmony. She listens, she encourages, and she's a powerhouse.  Visit her website at www.dynamicharmony.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails