Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October...DO something



Personally, October is my favorite month. The slightly crispy air, the transition from fleeing the uncomfortable heat to craving the warm fuzzies of fleece blankets and thick socks, the ramping up of holiday baking plans. Everything about October screams "comfort" to me.
Comfort Set One
Professionally, I was searching for something to DO in October. Not work wise, as I'm blessed to have several projects that I am enjoying. But you see October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and many of my favorite businesses--big and small--are giving back in their own way. Doing something. I wanted to follow suit but was at a loss, searching for something that spoke to me.

Like almost everyone I know, I've been touched by cancer. Not personally, but through my stepmother Karen, who is a survivor. Even before she battled cancer Karen was one of the strongest women I've ever known; she has to be, raising six girls! When she married my father, she inherited three far-from-perfect redheaded girls and welcomed us into her home. She was, and continues to be, a living example of the type of mother I aspire to be to my own children. And I will forever adore her for making my father so happy for all of these years.

Life is funny, sometimes, in how opportunities are presented. Today, my chance to do something found me.  My beautiful and insanely talented friend Diana of The Studio 56 creates the most lovely cards. Her photography is, quite simply, perfectly simple. She consistently takes my breath away when she allows me to see what she sees through her lens. And these two sets of cards, appropriately called Take Comfort, struck me as my way to DO something.

Comfort Set Two


So, please visit Diana's boutique and purchase a set (or two, or three.....) of her gorgeous cards. Blank on the inside, they are perfect for any occasion or no occasion at all. They are perfect for birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, teacher and hostess gifts or "just because".  When it comes down to it, though, an occasion isn't even necessary. If you're anything like me, you love to get an unexpected 'thinking of you' card in the mail for absolutely no reason at all, and these card sets are for anyone wishing to soothe, console, reassure, bring cheer or give comfort to another. 

And as a bonus, she'll even ship them to your recipient so you have absolutely no reason to stand in line at the post office.

My part in this? Well, when you place your order please tell Diana that "Lisa sent me" and she'll track those orders. At the end of the month, I'll donate .50 for every single set of cards that is purchased from Diana to  Susan G. Komen for the Cure. I'd love to write a great big check, so pass this along to anyone you think of. Best of both worlds, really--spreading comfort and doing good. Makes the world go round!!

Direct link to Take Comfort Set One
Direct link to Take Comfort Set Two

1 comment:

  1. Well stated Lisa! What a generous post and offer. Donating to Susan G Komen is admirable. Thank you from me and all those affected by breast cancer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails