Friday, October 15, 2010

Marketing NEVER stops

Often sessions with my clients focus on marketing. Specifically schedules, print, web, social media, websites,blogging--you know, all the planned activities that allow you to create the message you want the world to see.

When you create a brochure or write a blog post, you are completely in control of your message. You have your 'marketing cap' firming in place and you write or create with a specific goal in mind. You are, so to speak, on your best behavior.

What about all the other times you represent your business, though? I remind my clients all the time that every single contact they have with a human being is part of their marketing plan. If you are driving a company vehicle and cut someone off in traffic do you think they'll have a positive impression of your company? How about if you're wearing your name tag and you are rude to a waitress while out to dinner? I'd lay odds that she will remember the place listed on your name tag and associate it with your surly demeanor.

I'm thinking of this because I recently attended a wine party. It was a concept I was unfamiliar with--well, with wine as the product, anyway. It was like other home parties to sell product only the wine was flowing and by the end of the evening I'd learned a bit and sipped a bit and thought it was a fabulous way to not only add to my wine collection but to enjoy a girls night out as well.

Fast forward a few weeks. I emailed the rep who conducted the party and asked if I could host one. I didn't get a response, so a week later I emailed again. And I was a bit perplexed by her response (no editing here, this is the entire email):


I will gladly do a wine party for you, Lisa.
 
I promote wines by the CASE (12 bottles of one kind)
As long as you and your friends understand I am there to make new customers
and what it is all about. We need to keep it 12 people or under,
I will bring bring 8-10 wines and the knowledge to go with.
 
At the end, we hopefully will have people who are interested in becoming clients.
 
Just call me when you get the chance and we'll talk about it and look at some dates.
 
I am sure that this lady is a lovely person; however, what I read in this email is :  'Sure, I'll take time out of my busy schedule and let you promote me for what I really think will be a waste of time if you can make sure that everyone knows I'm there to make money'. Needless to say, I haven't called to schedule a party. Perhaps she thought that because I only bought two bottles of wine at the party I attended that sales would be below her standards, or perhaps she doesn't want to travel to my area. Regardless of the 'why' behind her email, it left a permanent impression with me that reflects poorly on her business. 

My point in sharing this is solely to remind us all to remember that marketing NEVER stops. Every email, every tweet, every interaction with someone leaves an impression about you or your business (or both) that usually cannot be erased. And, I'd  argue that an errant email or comment that leaves a permanent negative impression is much more impactful than a perfectly appointed and executed marketing plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails